Friday, April 12, 2013

How do you do it?

We've all had those days, you know the ones. You can't seem to get moving. Your motivation is somewhere between non-existent and LOW.What do you do to keep moving?

I have struggled with this before, especially in the weeks and month following the births of my children. It was so easy to just turn the TV on to Dora the Explorer and lay on the couch while the kids watched TV and played in the living room. And fresh home cooked meals? Yeah, those are great. But so is Stouffer's Mac and Cheese, all 8000 calories of it! It's just so much easier than trying to get motivated to get in the kitchen and prepare a healthy, balanced meal.It was easy to let the housework go, but in the end it got done. The cooking is a work in progress, but we are moving in the right direction. Letting my body go, on the other hand, that was a bit harder to take back than a pile of dishes or laundry.

Some of the things I have found that have helped to keep me motivated each day to keep myself up and moving:


1) Get dressed from head to toe. Whether I am getting dressed to go on morning run, or just dressed to go anywhere, I get so much more accomplished!

2) Make a list. Don't worry if you don't check off every item. But having a list helps you to visualize all the things you need to do each day. It especially helps if you do not crumble up said list and throw it in the trash. I leave mine on the counter until it's done.

3. If you are a busy mama like myself, learn to cook! I don't mean to imply that you don't already know how. But I know, the things I thought I knew about cooking were sorely lacking! Cooking larger batches of a meal and freezing it has been such a help for those days I lack the time or motivation to prepare a full meal, and it saves my family from eating crap! Also, have you tried crock-pot recipes? There are approximately 367 million amazing things that can be made in a crock pot. While you work, or while you sleep, or while you do yard work! Crock pots are amazing!

4.  Get moving! Go for a walk. Go for a run.  Do a workout DVD, go to the gym, go to a boot-camp. Do something. Just make sure that you are moving around and not settled in one spot for hours on end. I know sometimes I will think of every possible excuse I can to avoid a workout, but I will force myself to do it. And I promise you every single time I am so glad I did the workout.

So I hope these ideas might help you to keep moving. What other suggestion do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment